There are sectors of economic activity in Mexico subject to a constant rule change. These rules are set out in the Mexican Constitution, Free Trade Agreements signed by Mexico, laws, regulations, several hundred Official Mexican Standards (NOM) and conformity assessment procedures, sanitary and phytosanitary measures, standards, and many other procedures whose dispersion and wording creates uncertainty in the decision-making processes and day-to-day operations for national and foreign companies doing business in Mexico.
We are one of the few law firms in Mexico with broad experience on the negotiation and representation of companies and associations in the process of creation or modification of technical regulations (Official Mexican Norms or NOMs); conformity assessment procedures, and standards. We are also proficient and experienced in taking full advantage of Mexico’s relevant international trade commitments in benefit of our clients.
We pursue our clients’ interests by combining the application and interpretation of the provisions contained in Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with those of the domestic legal framework, producing unique solutions and argumentations on their behalf. We are also highly efficient in conveying our client’s concerns to key officials, both within the Mexican government and foreign governments, as well as international organizations.
Our commitment is to help our clients to avoid excessive and unnecessary costs and burdens that could result from the constant changes to the legal framework. Our aim is to ensure that new Mexican regulations, procedures and standards are aligned with Mexico's obligations established in FTAs.
Our service comprises strategic experience on the following fields:
- Analysis of preliminary drafts for the creation or modification of technical regulations, sanitary and phytosanitary regulations, conformity assessment procedures, and standards.
- Analysis of the applicability of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization and the General Law of Regulatory Improvement on a case-by-case basis.
- Identification and interaction with companies, organizations, chambers and confederations of the industry with alike interests.
- Defense of the position of our clients in the Working Groups and National Committees for the definition of new regulations, procedures and standards.
- Negotiation and monitoring of ongoing administrative processes before authorities on regulatory matters.
Our experience and resources allow us to address on a proper and efficient manner a broad range of trade matters, including but not limited to trade dispute settlement, trade negotiations, defense of trade interests…
The first-hand experience from our Managing Partner in the negotiations of the main trade agreements between Mexico and its commercial partners in the area of intellectual property rights, allows us to provide in-depth…